Achievement Testing

Achievement Assessment

Why Test Achievement?

Your child will be assessed in several academic areas including reading, writing, and math. A formal achievement test such as the KTEA-3 will be used in a one-on-one meeting with your child. Breaks will be offered as needed and motivation will be continued. It is highly recommended that you have report cards (current and previous, if you have them), STAAR scores, along with work samples at your child’s testing appointment.

This informal information will also be used within the report to determine your child’s academic strengths and weaknesses. This information is also vital to support assessment findings. When discussing achievement testing with your child, regardless of age, please do not use the word ‘test.’ I would not want any child to have test anxiety as I want your child’s best performance on this day. You can use the words ‘activities’ or ‘games’ (again, depending on age). The results will be reviewed with you in a one-on-one personal session and specific recommendations will also be discussed.

Areas of achievement: Basic Reading, Reading Fluency, Reading Comprehension, Written Expression, Math Calculation, and Math Problem Solving.

About The Test

Achievement Testing FAQ's

How long will this portion of the test take?

It is recommended that if a formal evaluation is needed, that an in-person interview is conducted (approximately one to two hours). However, if this is difficult due to your work schedule then an adaptive behavior interview can be conducted over the phone or a questionnaire/rating scale can be taken home for you to complete on your own time. However, it must be noted that precise information is required in order for valid results to be obtained.
Will you be writing an intervention plan for my child?

Recommendations will be given within the report which can be implemented at home or at school. It is highly suggested that you provide this information to your child’s school before an IEP meeting is held (if your child is already in special education). In this way, your child’s school can implement or at least consider the recommendations listed.
Can you tell me if my child has something other than LD or ID, what about ADHD or Autism?

In order to diagnose ADHD or Autism, a psychological assessment conducted by a Licensed Psychologist, Psychiatrist, Neurologist, and/or Pediatrician is needed. Within the school setting, the diagnostician is part of the comprehensive evaluation team but alone does not make these diagnoses.
Are the forms only in English?

If Spanish is preferred, Spanish scales can be sent home for you to complete.